Attend a WCHS Luncheon Map to Warwick CH
Meetings of the
Warwick County Historical Society
are held on the third Wednesday of each month from February through October at the Warwick County Courthouse,
14421 Old Courthouse Way in Denbigh.
Meetings begin at 11:30 am for lunch, a business portion starts at noon and a presentation follows until adjourned around 1pm.
The Warwick County Courthouse Square is located on Old Courthouse Way in the Denbigh section of Newport News.
Its location on high ground was at one time the "Center of the Universe." If you still need directions, contact us.
Upcoming Events in 2021
All events subject to change. Contact us for the latest updates.
- May 19— " Newport News Pioneers : From English Sea Dogs to Entertainers,” Join J. Michael Moore for a lively discussion of the men and women who have made this city famous. Newport News has had its share of famous residents and visitors.
Location: Lee Hall Mansion, 163 Yorktown Road, Newport News, 11:30 am. Brown bags welcome! Boxed lunch available for pre-order by Tuesday, May 18th at noon.
- June 16— “A Tale of Two Monuments,” - Albert Burckard reflects on lost causes and culture cancel: exploring the societal issues that caused two communities to adapt their history. As told by the great-grandson of a Union soldier. A lively non-political exploration of the topic!
Location: 1884 Warwick Courthouse, 14421 Old Courthouse Way, Newport News, 11:30am. Brown bags welcome! Boxed lunch available for pre-order by Tuesday, June 15th at noon.
- July 21— "Meet Mary Bucke," - Living Historian Rebecca Suerdieck portrays 17th Century colonist Marye Bucke, who will relate her voyage to Jamestown, the real Pocahontas, and the new government. A wonderful trip back in time - three times in the making!
Location: 1884 Warwick Courthouse, 14421 Old Courthouse Way, Newport News, 11:30am. Brown bags welcome! Boxed lunch available for pre-order by Tuesday, July 20th at noon.
- August 18-- “Tales of My Father—a Colony Boy Explores His World,” Susan Yoder Ackerman shares amusing and educational stories of her father and his interactions in old Warwick County as it was back then; an entertaining evening for all.
Location: 1884 Warwick Courthouse—14421 Old Courthouse Way, Newport News, 6:00 pm Potluck Event! Bring a dish, side dish or dessert to share, no green bean casserole! Society to supply main course and utensils, etc.
- September 15 - ”Exploring the Renovated Lee Hall Depot” with Site Coordinator Mary Kayaselcuk.
The Lee Hall Depot is a symbol of Newport News’ early development from the agrarian Warwick County into the modern City of Newport News and of the history of transportation.
Location: Lee Hall Depot, Lee Hall, 11:30am. Brown bag or boxed lunch available.
Dependent on City policy concerning crowd size at public events.